It is said that “if you spend more time on coffee than on IT Security, you will be hacked” every site owner understands the value of his or her website security.
If you are reading this article you must be having a WordPress website and you are interested to know about the best backup plugins for WordPress. Read it thoroughly to get a clear picture.
WordPress backups on a regular basis ensure your website security and keep security threats at bay. In addition to that it also saves your back if anyhow your website gets hacked by keeping your data safe.
WordPress being a robust platform, comes with several free and paid backup plugins to help you backup your site regularly. In this article, we have shared a detailed review of 5 best WordPress backup plugins in 2023 that you must know about.
What is a WordPress Backup Plugin?
A WordPress backup refers to the method of downloading a copy of your website database. It can be done both manually and automatically. However, it is always better to rely on the automatic process as doing it manually can be a laborious and time-consuming process. Moreover, sometimes due to other work pressure we may also forget the important step.
The role of a WordPress backup plugin is to help you store backups of your website data in the cloud through storage platforms such as Dropbox or Google Drive. This gives you the assurance of data safety in case of any malicious attack on your website.
Alternatives to WordPress backup plugins
There are various ways available for you to backup your WordPress site. When it comes to an alternative to WordPress backup plugin, the first thing that strikes in our minds is your web host’s backup services that lets you handle your regular backups with ease. In fact the WordPress maintenance support services also include site backups.
However, it is essential for you to keep another backup option open for your site in case any problem occurs in your hosting server. As a website owner you should always focus on reducing the damage that may cause due to any malicious attack on your website.
Keeping the above mentioned facts in mind, we have filtered the 5 best WordPress backup plugins that you must be aware of.
5 best WordPress Backup Plugins in 2023
Find out some of the best WordPress Backup Plugins in 2023:
1. Jetpack VaultPress Backups
Jetpack VaultPress Backups is a popular WordPress backup plugin that takes care of your website backup process to help you restore the important data of your website.
The plugin was initially named as Vaultpress but presently after being redesigned is called Jetpack VaultPress.
Key features of the WordPress backup plugin include the following:
- Real-time data backup that keeps even the latest changes made on your website intact.
- Automated backup on a daily basis.
- Allows users to restore data with just a click even when you are offline.
- Offers an activity log section through which you can track the changes that took place on your site.
- You can also get the security scanning facility with higher plans of Jetpack backups.
Who can use Jetpack VaultPress Backups?
Jetpack Backups is for those.
- Who are looking for a real-time backup solution.
- Who has a WooCommerce site as it gives you the facility to save your website data including the past orders and updated products.
- Who are currently using Jetpack Backups and in search of a premium platform.
Pricing: The price of Jetpack Vaultpress plugin starts from $14.95 per month for backups on a daily basis.
The next in our list is UpdraftPlus which has more than 3 million active installations along with a lot of 5-star reviews. It allows you to backup WordPress sites entirely and save the data in the cloud. Users can also download the data to keep a copy of it.
One of the biggest advantages of the plugin is that you can create both on-demand and scheduled backups with this. In the scheduled backup, you can set a time for the process whereas in on-demand backup you can instantly give it a start.
Key features of the backup plugin includes the following:
- It comes with more advanced features than its competitors, especially in the free version.
- A beginner-friendly plugin.
- Lets users automatically store your website data in multiple cloud storage services that cover Google drive, Rackspace, email, Dropbox and more.
- It is capable of backing up sites of 100GB but the file size depends on the host.
- With Updraftplus, users can also specify the website areas that they want to backup including the themes, plugins and data.
- Besides the free version, the premium one is also loaded with some useful features like cloning, migration, data encryption and more.
Who can use Updraftplus?
Updraftplus is for those.
- Who are looking for a free WordPress backup plugin with advanced features.
- Who want a backup solution that has millions of user recommendations.
Pricing: The premium version of the plugin starts from $70 per year.
3. Duplicator Pro
Duplicator pro has acquired the third position in the list due to its user-friendliness and the support of more than 1.5 million users.
The plugin can be a great option for beginners as it does not require any coding skills. It also allows users to restore data with just a simple click.
Key features of Duplicator Pro include the following:
- The plugin comes with a WordPress migration wizard that helps migrate a website in two simple steps.
- Offers server to server import facility.
- It also facilitates multisite backup and migration.
- Allows users to backup data to various cloud storages including Google drive, FTP, Onedrive, Amazon S3 and more.
- Lets users safeguard the archive files with backup encryption.
Who can use Duplicator pro?
- Anyone can use Duplicator pro including bloggers, developers, designers or any business owner.
- The plugin can also be used by beginners who do not have much coding language.
Pricing: The premium version of Duplicator pro starts from $49.
4. All-In-One WP Migration
All-in-one WP migration is a superior WordPress Migration plugin that always makes sure that your backups are appropriately configured for migration.
It is highly compatible with other WordPress plugins and themes. Though the free version comes with a limited set of features, the paid version opens up many useful features for your WordPress backups.
Key Features of All-In-One WP Migration plugin include the following:
- It lets you create backups that are protected with passwords.
- Works well with all types of host environments.
- When it comes to backups and exports or imports, the free features are useful but for a comprehensive backup solution, paid features are recommended.
- Comes with more than 14 storage platform integration.
Who can use WP Migration?
All-in-one WP Migration is suitable for those.
- Who are developers and looking for a complete backup solution for their WordPress sites.
- Who are willing to pay for premium backup plugins.
- Who want to make sure that their site backup is working properly while shifting to a different host.
Pricing: The plugin has both free and paid versions and the paid version starts from $69 per year onwards.
5. Backup Buddy
More than half a million WordPress site owners rely on BackBuddy to backup their WordPress sites. It lets you schedule your backups easily on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
The plugin was created in 2010 and it has maintained quality consistency very well since then. Backupbuddy offers automatic scheduled backups and also lets you save your site data in your preferred location.
Key features of the BackupBuddy plugin include the following:
- Provides users with a comprehensive backup solution that also includes files and media.
- Offers utmost security.
- Comes with an email notification facility.
- Lets users store their backups in various cloud storage services including, Rackspace Cloud, FTP, Dropbox, Amazon S3 and more.
- It can be used to restore, migrate or duplicate WordPress sites.
Who can use BackupBuddy?
BackupBuddy is a suitable plugin for those.
All types of business owners who have a big budget.
Pricing: BackupBuddy is a premium plugin which does not have a free version. Moreover the plugin is also expensive and has a starting price of $99.
Which Backup Plugin is the best?
All of the above mentioned plugins have good features and qualities to help you initiate a successful WordPress backup. However, selecting the best one completely depends on your requirements and budget limitations. However, we recommend you to read the features of each WordPress backup plugin, to make a wise decision.
If you have a budget limitation and want to have a free and feature-packed plugin then we can certainly go for Jetpack Backups.
How much does a WordPress plugin backup cost?
If you are using a free plugin then you simply do not need to spend anything on the back up process. However, if you have a paid plugin option then you need to make payments for the premium plugin.
We hope that the details of the above mentioned backup plugins for WordPress will help you choose the one that you are looking for. Each plugin mentioned over here has unique features. You just need to choose the right one for your business based on your requirements.