Being careful to back up WordPress periodically, it can get you out of more trouble. If your hosting provider does not offer you the Backup WordPress Site service or if you prefer to control yourself when they are done, we explain a very simple process in this article.
What is a Backup?
Well, as its name implies, making a backup WordPress site consists of duplicating certain files of your WordPress, packaging them, compressing them and saving them, so that if your installation presents any error or loss, you can restore that copy that you have saved and get to restore your blog at the exact moment the copy was made.
Why Backup WordPress Site?
It is always convenient and advisable to have backups, at least daily, of your installation. The main reason for making backup copies is as a precaution against the following unforeseen events:
- Hacker access to our WordPress, through some security system that may exist for not having the necessary security measure.
- Sabotage or fall of servers. It is likely that if you have hired a very cheap or free hosting service, it does not offer you the necessary security measures or reliability against vulnerabilities, hacks, firewalls, etc.
- Loss of information or accidental deletion of files from our WordPress as a result of some improperly installed plugin, modification of the WordPress source code (.htaccess files, functions.php, etc.).
What Files to include in a Backup WordPress Site?
Although each specific case may vary, it is normal to make backup copies of:
- Databases: where entries, comments, pages, plugin configuration data, etc. are stored.
- Files: where the media gallery files are located, etc.
- Themes: which will contain the themes that you have installed on your blog (both active and inactive).
- Plugins: which will include the files of the plugins that you have installed in your WordPress (but not the configuration data).
How often to make a Backup WordPress Site?
The time that must elapse between each copy will depend on two things: the frequency with which your hosting provider does it and the one with which you update your blog.
At the beginning, while you are creating your blog or web page, it is logical that you are modifying things almost daily until you end up completely defining the entire structure and design (the skeleton) of your blog. Subsequently, it is normal that you only modify it every week or every few days to publish the entries that feed the content of your blog.
If in your case your hosting provider also performs them at least daily, with you doing it once a week (usually the same day you publish, at night) would be more than enough. If you do not have this service in your hosting, it would be convenient if you could make a daily backup WordPress site or at least every three days.
Where to Save the Created Backup WordPress Site?
My recommendation is that the backup you make of your WordPress Site, save it outside your server since if there is precisely a problem on your servers that forces you to restore the saved copy and you have it on the same server, it will be of no use because you will not be able to access it.
In this case, and so that it doesn’t cost you money, you can use the virtual hard disk services provided by Google Drive (which offers you 15 Gb of free storage) or Dropbox (which gives you 3 Gb of the virtual hard disk), One Drive, among others.
8 WordPress Backup Plugins & Restore Your Site
If you are looking for a WordPress plugin to help you backup or restore your website, then you are in the right place. The list of add-ons we offer is composed of 8 WordPress add-ons that will help you perform the different tasks related to these different processes.
1. Backup and Restoration
Backup And Restore is a WordPress plugin that will help you schedule backups of your website on a local server or in different clouds such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and Amazon S3.
You will have the option to restore your entire site, including the database of existing restore points, with just one click.
It will also be possible to upload your site, database, and all your backup copies. This add-on will help you manage backup and restore processes in a simple, safe and reliable way.
- Full site backup
- Amazon S3 Backup, Google Drive, Dropbox
- Disk Space Manager
- Automatically delete old backups
- Complete restoration of your site.
- multiple support sites
- Etc …
Price: $ 29
2. Ether Backup
The Ether Backup plug-in is a powerful tool that allows you to manage all aspects related to data management on your WordPress site.
- Full customization of backups
- Schedule automatic backups
- Download easy backups
- Automatic update of the URL
- Migrate the site to different servers/domains in a few clicks
- Simple user interface
- Etc …
Price: $ 23
3. Backup and Clone Master
Backup & Clone Master is a WordPress plugin or an all-in-one solution dedicated to backing up, restoring, cloning and migrating your website.
This add-on will help you manage the processes listed above in a safe, simple, regular or on-demand manner.
- Full backup WordPress site
- Planning different backups
- Backup in Dropbox, Google Drive
- Backup to your inbox
- Migration of the BD to a new host
- multiple support sites
- restoration and cloning sites
- Etc …
Price: $ 33
4. Super Security
Super Security is a WordPress add-on, which will help you protect your site against viruses and malicious attacks, through the game of access authorization, automatic update settings, file analysis, database and registry backup, traffic verification, etc.
- Administration Notifications
- Spam protection
- Backup WordPress site
- Backup files
- Analyze the parameters of your site
- Cleaning after removing an add-on
- Weekly analysis with email notification
- And much more…
Price: $ 21
5. Woo Commerce Backup and Migration Settings
When you create an online store, all settings are stored in the database. The Woo Commerce configuration backup and migration plug-in are responsible for extracting all these configurations and exporting them to a CSV file.
This file can be used as a backup and can be imported later if you have problems or can be imported to another Woo Commerce store to get started quickly.
- Full back-up or restore of your store settings
- Migrate your store configuration to another
- Export configuration settings in CSV format
- Etc …
Price: $ 36
6. Super Backup & Clone – Migrate
We present here the WordPress Super Backup & Clone – Migrate plugin that will allow you to make a backup WordPress site.
In fact, working on your site is always a long and cumbersome process, and it would be a shame if you lost your job due to an incorrect configuration or handling error.
Therefore, this add-on is a reliable backup solution that will help you avoid losing your data.
- Ability to retain multiple instances of backups
- Migration to an alternate server
- Restore backups
- Auto diagnosis
- Excellent customer service
- Multiple support sites
Price: $ 34
7. WP anti-Hack File Monitor
In order to perform malicious activities or to take access to the webserver, hackers mostly generate the attacks. That is why they often want to make changes in the website files so that these malicious activates can easily be executed in the background.
If the attacker is efficient in making attacks, you won’t know or judge by any activity that your website has been hacked as the whole working mechanism goes perfectly normal according to the observer. For this purpose, a file monitor can be very helpful for your website: a script that can detect any modification/creation/deletion of files on your site.
We recommend that just a file monitor is not enough for your website protection. You should also be able to backup, restore, and monitor your files. That is why this complement was designed.
- Excellent file monitoring
- Backup WordPress site and recovery available
- SMS notification of any change in files
- Etc …
Price: $ 10
Here is a backup WordPress site and migration add-on for the purpose of securing and managing the backups of a WordPress website. As compared to most of the add-ons in the market, this one seems to be very simple and fast in creating and restoring the WordPress website backups.
- Unlimited backup WordPress site
- Unlimited restoration
- Migrate a site from one hosting/domain to another
- Download backup WordPress site copies to the local PC
- Programming backups
- Download and import from FTP / SFTP
- Download to and from Dropbox, Google Drive, and Amazon S3
Price: $ 45
Making a backup WordPress site should become an obligation for every blogger. These plugins can also save you a lot of time and headaches if for any of the reasons we have mentioned above you will need to restore a backup and you would not have done it yet. Did you already make regular backups of your WordPress? What plugin do you use? What do you think of this one, easier or more complex than yours? Leave a comment to us.